Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Measure of a Man

I don't think I have fully realized the impact that fathers have in children's lives until recently. Obviously I have been completely oblivious to the extent that my dad's choices have impacted my life until now, where I find my emotions careening and veering far out of the nice controlled path I like to keep them. 

But beyond that, I am watching how deeply hurt my children are due to the temporary loss of their father because of his incarceration.  Today when one of the father's of their team mates paid attention to him, Zachary glowed. When the same man lifted Zachary up into the air at the end of the game, his grin was so large and radiant it consumed his whole face. 

Their father wasn't the most active father in their lives. He fell short of all my expectations and demands, though I did and do acknowledge he is doing better than he was ever raised how to do. But he also was there. When banished from my house, the children still had freedom to go over and hug him. To play tag in his yard, and tell him about their day. They don't have that anymore. 

In our house, we talk about how love can't be measured. Apparently, neither can the impact of a father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment