Friday, June 17, 2016

The Kitten

The last thing that I should be taking on right now is the cuddly ball of fluff that is attacking my ankles. I KNOW this. I can hear the shaking of heads and the disapproval now. If I were an outsider, I would probably join in. But I am not, and those heads were shaking before and will keep on shaking after all is said and done. 

It all started with a kitten, brought home years ago. That kitten escaped and subsequently had more kittens. All cats and kittens were banished to the outdoors, and in turn have had more kittens. 

Which is how, shortly after discovering I was pregnant, in the middle of financial and relationship demise, I ended up with four kittens. Four.  One for each child. Adorable little balls of wet sticky fur, mewing and crawling with eyes shut, they were an instant source of wonder for my children. They were named, watched, and when it was time, cuddled very carefully. Then the mommy kitty was done and subsequently killed them all.   Well the remaining all. One had already perished in an accident.  

This was a bit much for the kids on top of all the stress and confusion that has been going on over the past year. Honestly I hit my bit much, over the top, I'd break but there's no one to pick up the pieces point months before this, but thanks to the egocentric nature of childhood, the kids had missed most of that stress that was swirling around them. 

The dead kittens could not be overlooked. Kittens that they had claimed and written stories about. These kittens were to have adventures and be their confidants. Plans had been made. Then, without any warning or a by your leave, the plans were gone. Irrevocably changed and completely out of their control. 

I know exactly how they felt. 

So when they visited the kind man down the road who constantly has both kittens and Popsicles and came home with pictures, I said we'll see and commented on the cuteness and merits of each.  And when they went back again and came back with the only kitten left, I said absolutely. 

So we have a "baby kitten" as Noah likes to call her.  She is soft and cuddly; purrs easily and sometimes just by seeing someone come in the room. She is also fierce and feisty - attacking everything with firm plans of dominance. Including her own shadow. 

I have a few semi credible justifications like the kitten is helping the children cope with everything or that the kitten is teaching them to be gentle before the baby comes. The kitten makes them smile, and right now, that is all I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment